Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What Nigella should have worn



By now you've probably all seen the pictures of a burkini-clad Nigella Lawson, 51, on Bondi Beach. If not, brace yourselves....



First of all, let's set the record straight. I'm a big Nigella fan, largely because in a former more glamorous life I worked with her on a photoshoot, and she was beautiful and charming and totally professional. A dream. As for the burkini on the beach, you couldn't make it up. I know I'm worried about my sun spots, but really.

As we get older and the flesh starts to sag - for everyone's sake - it's best to cover up. And I do, when I'm in London. But holidays are a different matter. I cover up for sightseeing and nights out, but on the beach it's the devil may care approach for me. Well, it's highly unlikely that I'm going to bump into anyone I know, so what the heck. That's Not My Age has got the sunbed-to-surf dash down to a tee - and once I'm in the water no-one can see me anyway. Maybe I'd feel differently if I was in danger of being papped. But if I was in danger of being papped I wouldn't be seen dead in a saggy black all-in-one.

No. Here I am last year, on the way to the beach in France:



So anyway, my advice to Nigella is:

1. Get some factor 50 sunscreen.
2. Cover up in style with a flattering swimsuit (the one above is by Norma Kamali), a full-length kaftan and a floppy sun hat.
3. Don't go to the beach.







What do you wear to cover up on the beach?



Photos:

Nigella: Daily Mail
Swimsuit, Missoni sun hat, Alice by Temperley maxi dress and Cutler & Gross sunglasses: Net-a-Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...