Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Faux, Faux, Faux



Whilst there was a ton of brightly coloured, real fur on the autumn/winter 2011 catwalks, That's Not My Age has also spotted a flash of faux (see the Prada show above.) I'm not quite sure when fake fur became faux - probably around the time Anna Wintour got slapped in the face with a tofu pie - but let's go with contemporary fashion terminology. Now, I'm not some radical animal rights activist who'd throw paint at your chinchilla and I'm not looking for an online fur debate - wear what you like as far as I'm concerned, just don't expect to be invited round to TNMA Mansions if you're draped in dead animal pelts. On the other hand, if you're flaunting Chanel-style faux, my door is always open...



With advances in fabric technology there are plenty of modern alternatives to real fur, but give me a fistful of vintage, man-made fibres, any day:



Now, have I ever told you that when the Blog Widower/official That's Not My Age photographer takes my picture for these posts, he has to do it sitting in the bath? The only room in the place with white walls and pale flooring is the bathroom and to get a full-length shot, Mr TNMA has to climb inside the tub. Could be worse I suppose, he could be sitting on the toilet. Whilst I love The Beast (my 1960s leopard spot number, above), everywhere I turn these days there's someone in a cheap animal print coat, and much as The Queen feels about her prospective in-laws, I'm finding the idea a bit common. Fortunately, I can give The Beast a rest. A couple of weekends ago, I came across The Bear. My new favourite coat is a lovely fluffy 1950s Borg fabric, 'fashioned by real furriers' and found in a junk shop in Brixton Market.




The Bear looks good with jeans and skinny pants and coincidentally is the same shade of brown as a pair of old Clark's Desert Boots I found lurking under the bed. Going forward, I think it'll look neat with a floral print frock and leather boots - imagine this model with The Bear slung insouciantly over her shoulders:



Bears, beasts and bathrooms, That's Not My Age like to keep it real or should that be faux? Oh now I'm confused.



Photos
Catwalk: elle.com
Floral dress: Kew

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...