Sunday, March 21, 2010

Home is where the art is



After the excitement of the Mary Portas experience, That's Not My Age decided to spend some quality time with the Blog Widower this weekend, so we went along to see potter, Edmund de Waal's exhibition at the Alan Cristea Gallery. 'De Waal's pots - and the way he groups the pots to display them - are unlike anything else I've seen,' AS Byatt said in The Guardian (10 October 2009), but then, she hasn't been to our house...




Mr de Waal's white cabinet with porcelain vessels (top photo) put me in mind of a very tasteful collection of nick-nackery (middle and bottom photos) at That's Not My Age mansions. Uncanny, no? And this got me thinking about the way people arrange their possessions in a highly creative/anal fashion - and inspired me to introduce a new feature, 'Home is where the art is.' For which, I plan to visit people's homes (within reason, sorry but if you live in Australia or the USA, I probably won't be popping round for a cuppa) to photograph their favourite piece of art, collection of objects or as my mum would say reet nice ornaments. It doesn't have to be something you picked up at the Frieze Art Fair, just something you love with an interesting history. So if you'd like to take part, please get in touch. And if you do live in Australia, America or anywhere outside London, perhaps you could send a photo?

No brass horse shoes or teddy bears, please!


Edmund de Waal, From Zero is on at the Alan Cristea Gallery until 17 April 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...