Thursday, March 11, 2010

A tale of two ad campaigns




Something has been bothering That's Not My Age for a while now, so, deep breath.... time to let it out. Two adverts. Both aimed at grown-up ladies; the first, featuring a timeless shift dress on super-classy model, Stella Tennant, from LK Bennett, the second, what can only be described as a mash-up from Nicole Farhi. No prizes for guessing which I prefer.

Now, obviously I missed the memo on faux patchwork pants but a quick look at Vogue's runway report and I understand that notice-me prints are 'one of the trends that count.' No mention of Farhi's novelty pantaloons inspired by German expressionist Emile Nolde, mind you. Or why anyone in their right mind would wear them with a striped cowl neck tunic top. Funny that. I'm all for clashing textures and prints, if it's done well - I'm thinking Marni, Dries Van Noten, king of the mixologists, Marc Jacobs - but I am really struggling with this Nicole Farhi outfit. Apart from the clown in Robert Altman's Short Cuts, I just can't imagine who would go for the I-went-to-Glastonbury-in-1973-and-got-so-stoned-I-came-away-with-this-lousy-pair-of-pants look. Can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...