Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Drawing Inspiration




That's Not My Age loves Rachel Whiteread. The 47-year-old artist known for casting 'negative space' or inside-out sculptures of everyday objects (chairs, tables, baths) currently has a selection of drawings on show at Tate Britain. And they are beautiful. I love her use of Tippex to blot out buildings in photographs, and her postcards with holes punched out. More negative space.



Whiteread and Robyn Denny are two British artists who have inspired Jaeger's spring/summer 2011 collection. Now, when I looked for deconstructed tailoring and absent accessories on the catwalk, they weren't there, but a monochrome tuxedo jacket and gorgeous parchment-coloured parka are now occupying some of my mental space. Spooky.





The following pictures of Whiteread's 1993 Turner Prize-winning sculpture, House are from the TNMA library. This monument - the inside of a Victorian building cast in concrete - was knocked down by the local authority, fortunately I still have the positive memory captured on film. That's Not My Age trawled through a lot of old photographs to find these pictures and in doing so it struck me that a combination of the digital revolution and the fact that me and the Blog Widower have been together a mere seven years, has created a negative space in my photo album where Mr That's Not My Age should be.

Do I need to reverse this omission immediately? Or should I look at it from Whiteread's perspective and view this absence as a presence?




Rachel Whiteread drawings is on at Tate Britain until January 16 2011


Photos

Rachel Whiteread: Rachel Whiteread/Gagosian Gallery London and Hammer Museum, Los Angeles
Jaeger: style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...