Monday, September 27, 2010

Walk out to winter



As autumn blasts its way through the rickety window frames at That's Not My Age mansions (there's a reason why this place has such a low Energy Efficiency Rating), I can't think of anything better than wrapping up warm and going for a brisk ramble. Fortunately, the lovely lifestyle website - and shop, Pedlars has collaborated with some iconic British brands for autumn, so I won't have a problem getting kitted out; classic brogues from Bond Street shoemaker, Lodger, flat caps from the world-famous hatter, Lock & Co and my personal favourite, this fully-lined, waxy parka (above) from Silas. Perfect.



Mr TNMA would look like a proper gentleman in a pair of these boots!



That's Not My Age already has a classic Billingham camera bag but I might have to trade it in for this tweedy version.


So, the other day I was lucky enough to have a quick chat with Pedlars founder, Charlie Gladstone - who just happens to be the great great grandson of William Gladstone, the 19th century prime minister - probably the poshest person to appear on this blog!

TNMA: How would you describe your style?

CG: Evolving, vaguely workwear-y, a little Japanese. I am interested in the heritage of clothes and in detail and I have to know where my clothes are made. My favourite labels are 45rpm, Engineered Garments, Slowear, Lodger (shoes) and Locks (hats). We are moving into fashion in a gentle way, simply beause we sell whatever we like, be it food, music, homewares, tents...whatever. But we are moving cautiously and working in collaboration with brands we love.

TNMA: What do you like about getting older?

CG: It sounds like a cliché, but the best thing about getting older is that you do, definitely, get wiser. I am just a little more measured, a little calmer than I used to be. Having had children when I was quite young this has been particularly useful: I can remember what it was like to be a teenager and yet I have a slightly wiser head on my shoulders.

TNMA: Can you give me some tips for stylish living?

CG: These inform everything we do at Pedlars but they apply wherever you live. I have thousands of ideas but here are just a few...

1. Don't follow trends. Do what you like. Be confident.
2. Know the origin of everything. One piece of lovely furniture is worth a hundred pieces of flat-pack.
3. Use colour on walls, in fact use colour everywhere.
4. When framed, even the most mundane things look great, so frame all sorts of personal stuff and hang loads of things on your walls.
5. Play music.
6. Open the windows, whatever the weather (Thanks Charlie, but we don't need to do that at TNMA mansions - the wind whistles through even when the windows are closed!)

TNMA: I always think Pedlars is a great place to buy gifts, what's the best present you've ever received?

CG: For our 20th anniversary my wife, Caroline gave me an iPod full of songs that had meant stuff to us during the time we have been together. Brilliant.



Look out for my guest post on Charlie And Caroline's blog later this week - featuring an exclusive photo of Mr TNMA!



What's the best present you've ever given/received?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...