Sunday, June 12, 2011

Now & Then




Here are a couple of cheeky photos snapped at the John Squire: Celebrity exhibition, the other day. Each painting in the series is named after somebody famous, so there's David Beckham, Cheryl Cole, Keira Knightly, Arnold Schwarzenegger - and that's John F Kennedy, at the top. He's one of my favourites. The work, based on traditional Islamic designs, is a comment on celebrity culture, and according to Squire asks, 'How often we need to see copies of complete strangers' faces, and why do we collectively choose those particular people?' In the case of Cheryl Cole, I'd say that blanket coverage is not required, or is, depending on the type of blanket you're talking about.



And yes, it's the same John Squire who started out designing album sleeves for The Stone Roses (he was their guitarist at the time). Fool's Gold was one of Mr & Mrs That's Not My Age's Desert Island Discs. On our first date, we discussed our best gigs, ever. The Blog Widower chose the Rolling Stones, Brixton Academy 1995 and top of my list was The Stone Roses at the Empress Ballroom, Blackpool 1989. On a subsequent date, I knew things were going well when the young Mr TNMA produced a DVD of The Stone Roses' gig. Aah. How thoughtful. But my memories were shattered when I actually played the DVD and realised that Ian Brown's vocals were bloody awful. The Stone Roses. Brilliant. In spite of the fact that the lead singer couldn't sing.



So then we went for lunch at Leila's Shop, which is excellent. I'm surprised I haven't blogged about food before, as eating is one of my favourite pastimes and I have the appetite of Desperate Dan. Funny that. Maybe it's because the food doesn't remain on the plate long enough for a photo opportunity? Anyway, this is the best beetroot soup I've ever tasted. Served with cumin and buttermilk and a portion of potato salad. Delicious.

I like the Redchurch Street end of Shoreditch, OK it's becoming increasingly gentrified but it's still a bit grungy, reminds me of New York's Lower East Side. Leila's is around the corner on Calvert Avenue - I'd get over there pronto before Prada move in. Yes, really.






After lunch we headed up Kingsland Road and took a walk along the Regent's Canal. Art, food and an urban stroll, now that's top of my list of best days out:







John Squire: Celebrity is on at the Ideas Generation Gallery, Chance Street, London E2, till 3 July 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...