Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Parisian Flea Market



In the words of my favourite northern miserablist, 'I'm throwing my arms around Paris.' Is it just me or was Morrissey looking a little bit like a tatty Elvis in Vegas at Glastonbury last night? Anyhow, last weekend Monsieur et Madame That's Not My Age gave the French capital a great big hug. After a leisurely breakfast on Saturday morning we hit the Porte de Vanves flea market (marchés aux puces) in the south of the city. An excellent spot for mid-century nick-nackery, clothes and books. Now I like the market at Porte de Clignancourt, once you've got passed the kebab vans and cheap tat, the covered area is fabulous. If you buy antiques on the New King's Road, Fulham, then this is the place for you but at That's Not My Age Mansions it's shabby chic all the way.




I nearly bought these 1950s Orangina glasses but transporting fragile items is always problematic, as Amy Winehouse's tour manager knows only too well. Here are some of the superior bric-a-brac stalls and lovely people we met at Porte de Vanves.









And although we were beaten to a gorgeous Art Deco globe by the woman in the top photo, we still managed to pick up two new orbs to add to the collection:





The flea market runs on Saturdays and Sundays from 7am - 1.30pm and is a couple of minutes walk from Porte de Vanves Metro station.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...