Thursday, June 24, 2010

Home is where the art is




And now brace yourselves for a world exclusive...That's Not My Age takes you behind the scenes at ace blogger, Disney Roller Girl's crib. Yes, a chance to see the office where one of London's top fashion bloggers gets to work. The style hub is a veritable showroom of mid-century design. Take for example the handy Uten.Silo above (Dorothee Becker, 1969), 'I like to be organised and I quite like collecting things, so I'm drawn to storage,' says DRG, ' and then people give me things and so I end up having even more to store!' Between you and me, I had noticed a somewhat unhealthy obsession with stationery, in fact just this week Roller Girl has tweeted twice about Sellotape! The plastic hold-it-all is a design classic, with lots of pockets, so it's the perfect place for office nick-nackery and Roller Girl's pen collection:



The place has fresh, modern vibe, white-washed walls highlighted with carefully selected artwork and primary coloured accessories. 'I'm always drawn to red, it's a classic colour, quite pop art - and very motivational for the office,' Roller Girl continues, 'though I'm still looking for the perfect red lipstick.'

This plastic storage tower was designed in 1970 by Shiro Kuramata for Capellini. Mr & Mrs DRG gifted it to themselves a couple of Christmas' ago, but it's more art piece than chest of drawers and the blogger is banned from using it for storage, 'Just think of all the pens I could put in there,' she sighs.



Disney Roller Girl's name reflects a fondness for Mickey Mouse and roller skating, 'I don't know where the Mickey Mouse obsession came from because I've never been to Disneyland. It's a bit of a travesty really,' says the souvenir collector, adding, ' I got really into Warhol and Americana at art school so I guess it's another pop art motif.'



In keeping with this theme, there's a fine selection of artwork including this gorgeous Eduardo Paolozzi print and a fantastic black and white photograph of Andy Warhol on wheels (a present from Mr DRG):




And tons of art books in the library area where DRG carries out her research and D (that's mister) keeps his extensive book/record collection and mid-century ceramics:




All-in-all, Roller Girl's hideaway is the epitome of urban cool. Stylish, 20th- century modern and smart. And if she ever wants to find a new home for her plastic furniture or art collection (the stuff on the wall, not the Mickey Mouse memorabilia), it'll fit in perfectly well at That's Not My Age mansions.




Do you like mid-century modern style? Are you a hoarder/collector? And where can Disney Roller Girl find the perfect red lipstick?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...