Saturday, June 5, 2010

New Design Museum



From Shad Thames to High Street Ken, the Design Museum is moving home. As a south Londoner, it's hard not to feel a tiny pang of resentment about this impending shift to a posher west London postcode - the old museum is a short bike ride away from That's Not My Age mansions and a very fine spot for coffee and cake. The new museum will be housed in the former Commonwealth Institute. But, who knows, maybe I'll be able to reach it on one of Boris Johnston's cycle superhighways? Or maybe I'll run for major instead. But the good news is, the architect for the transformation of the the grade II* listed building is the daddy of minimalism, John Pawson, 60. Born three years before the Commonwealth Institute was erected, Pawson is a northener and master of elegant, pared-down style. And that, I like.


The Pawson effect can be seen at the Calvin Klein flagship store on 5th Avenue:



Jigsaw, Bond Street:


And to prove that my life isn't just one big fashion retail experience, I give you the beautiful Sackler Crossing at Kew:



Photos: John Pawson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...