Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tales of the canalside



One thing I love about living in London is the fact that even though I've been here 20 years I'm always making new discoveries. Take yesterday for example. Mr & Mrs That's Not My Age went for a stroll eastwards along the Regent's Canal. Where Mr TNMA revealed that as a young slip of a lad he'd been to a party on a houseboat right here. Just back from a trip to Bali, the young Blog Widower was adorned in his favourite holiday purchase: a pair of red, white and blue patterned harem pants. I stifled a cackle and immediately changed the subject.

Further along the canal, we met the fabulously named, cookery writer, Lori De Mori who will be celebrating her 50th birthday this year. Lori De Mori (I just want to keep saying her name!) is owner of the Towpath café where Mr TNMA ordered a big fat sausage sandwich and a glass of rosé and I caught a whiff of a melted cheese sandwich just being taken out from under the grill. This happened to be Lori De Mori's lunch but being a gracious lady and canny business woman she very kindly offered it up to me. How could I refuse? Sorry, Lori De Mori. More raclet than Welsh Rarebit, the melted cheese sandwich was sensational. We could have stayed all afternoon eating homemade cakes, drinking beer and listening to live music at this lovely laid-back venue, but we had to be on our way.





Towpath has water side tables and chairs but we ate our lunch on this boat-type thingy and then carried on up the canal.




Being a northener, I'm fond of a run-down old warehouse, I find beauty in a derelict landscape.




But I love seeing the country in the city. Trees growing from cracks in walls, wild flowers against a graffiti backdrop:




We finished our journey at Mile End Park, which is lush and green and has its own wind turbine and borehole.



Have you ever made the mistake of buying holiday clothes on holiday?

And do you have a favourite al fresco dining spot?




Towpath, 42 De Beauvoir Crescent, London N1 (020 7254 7606)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...