Sunday, June 6, 2010

Roll up, roll up



Now, I'd like to say I'm in a freewheelin' kinda mood today, I'd like to, but I'm not. That's Not My Age has become caught up in the minutiae of style, bogged down by fashion detail, worn out by sartorial worry. And the crux of the matter is, the humble turn up.

This specific problem revolves around a pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs khakis purchased in New York circa summer 2007, which I paid over the odds for and have worn about three times. I know, I know, should've gone to Gap. But the MJ khakis have a lovely tuxedo detail, a neat eye-shaped button on the back pocket (I told you we were talking minutiae) and...



a bootcut leg:



So what's the problem? I hear you cry. The boot cut is back and you are so totally cutting edge! The bootcut is back, it's just that I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet. And everywhere I turn, I see turn-ups. This summer the only way to wear khakis is nonchalantly rolled up:





Now, I tried rolling mine up and I looked like I was going for a paddle. The sturdy cotton twill fabric and wider leg shape weren't having any of it. But, determined not to buy another pair of trousers, I turned to fashion friend and super-blogger Disney Roller Girl for guidance. DRG is an expert on preppie style and advised me to go for the Wes Anderson look by teaming khakis with old-school New Balance trainers.





Cor blimey, she's right. For that dressed down, nerdy vibe, That's Not My Age will be doing a Wes Anderson this summer. And for days when I don't want to look like a 40 year-old man, I've found another pair of old khakis in the back of my wardrobe - in a lighter weight fabric - that roll-up a dream. Seen here with my new mum shoes!



And now for some gratuitous pictures of cool people in khakis:



A rare photo of Grace Kelly relaxing in pants and an over-sized shirt.



Miles Davis the king of laid-back, beat style.



How do you wear your khakis?



Photos
Cate Blanchett: Annie Liebowitz
Steve McQueen/Gap ad: The Selvedge Yard
Grace Kelly: Vanity Fair
Miles Davis: One Hundred Years of Menswear, Cally Blackman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...