Monday, February 14, 2011

Easy Pieces




For me, good quality basics with the Martini factor (remember this?) and a smattering of eye-catching accessories are where it's at. I don't work in a corporate environment, rarely wear head-to-toe tailoring and find casual glamour is my default setting. Effortlessly stylish separates, like a reliable work colleague, are easy to get along with during the day and good enough to take you over the road to the pub for a refreshing evening drink. So here are some of my favourite pieces for spring:

1. The tuxedo jacket - the one above is from la maison de chic separates, Comptoir des Cotonniers.

2. A jaunty blouse or shirt. Helps livens up a plain bottom half.



3. Liz Taylor earrings. Theses are classy not brassy and the quickest way to glam-up a pared-down outfit.



4. The luxury tee. That's Not My Age is a sucker for slinky jersey.



4. The maxi skirt - love this one from the Theyskens' Theory collection.



5. A pair of plimsolls. OK, after living in them for ooh, ever, I haven't worn Converse for years. Two reasons. I hit forty and found they were too flat and didn't provide enough support for my middle-aged feet. And then, David Cameron started wearing them. But the latest collaboration with Marimekko might be worth the physical/political pain.




6. The denim dress. This is from the new Spanish website, Medwinds which is worth checking out if, like That's Not My Age, you're a fan of quality basics. Though personally, I would ditch the platforms.



In fact, yesterday I wore my denim dress with navy cotton-knit tights and a pair of tan leather lace-ups...



7. The essential black trouser. My old Gap Capri pants have been working hard of late but I'm looking to upgrade to a longer length Cigarette-style. Here are a couple of hot favourites:




From DVF and Sportsmax. And hoorah! We're off to New York on Wednesday so I'm hoping a Brit-friendly-exchange-rate will lead me to the DVF pants, unless of course I happen upon a pair of fabulous leg-lengthening Theyskens first.


How do you do casual glamour? And wasn't Easy Pieces a Lloyd Cole album?



Tuxedo jacket, gingham blouse and leather lace-ups: Comptoir des Cotonniers
Earrings: Mikey
T-shirt: Eternitee
Theyskens' Theory: Net-a-Porter
Marimekko Converse: from Offspring and Converse (coming soon!)
Denim dres: Medwinds
DVF and Sportsmax trousers: Matches

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...