Sunday, February 13, 2011

Quote for fashion week



Like Carine Roitfeld, That's Not My Age is not doing Fashion Week this year. The Blog Widower and I are taking off for a few days (more of which later). And one thing I won't miss is the crowd of wannabe-Sartorialists hanging round the entrance to Somerset House like a pack of camera-wielding wolves snapping at anything that moves across the cobbles. Don't get me wrong, I love the democratic nature of blogging and the fact that anyone can be a star. I don't have a problem with a 13-year-old geek getting a front row seat at the shows. Good on you, Tavi... though I did prefer you with grey hair. And now, even Carine Roitfeld is considering her online presence:

'I’m not an internet [girl]. I’m not writing on blogs. I’m not a Facebook girl. Even though there is a fake Facebook with my name, it’s not me. I’m not on Twitter, it’s not me. But I think if I’m not going on the internet, I’m going to totally disappear, because the future is the internet. It’s very difficult for me to work on the internet, but maybe I will find a way. I think this is very, very important.'

We all know that the blogosphere has turned magazine editors into the new style icons. Living dolls dressed-up in designer clothes straight off the pages of their glossy magazines. So it's interesting to hear Roitfeld's thoughts on the phenomenon:

'I’m not an icon, because my family, my kids, my husband keep me down-to-earth. But it’s true that, when you go to a show now, the photographers are more interested sometimes in the dress or the jacket you’re wearing than to photograph the show, and I think this is totally wrong. It’s an honor and you smile to the people. But is it normal? I think there is something a bit weird, that more people want to see these looks than want to see what John Galliano or Dolce & Gabbana did for the show.'

Quotes and photo: style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...