Thursday, February 17, 2011

In New York



When my brother first moved to New York 12 years ago he nervously asked if I'd like to come and visit him. Er, has seasoned professional, Charlie Sheen blown all his money on cocaine and prostitutes? Does power-crazy septuagenarian, Silvio Berlusconi have a penchant for teenage friends? Anyhow, in the name of family duty, That's Not My Age is Stateside. It's my first trip in nearly two years and I can't wait to visit the farmers' market in Union Square, the galleries, museums and flea markets in Chelsea and Brooklyn (I might even add to my globe collection) but most of all I'm looking forward to walking around Manhattan and discovering new stuff.



Oh and you'll be pleased to hear that on the journey over I didn't have to worry about looking out of the plane window to find all my old knickers strewn across the runway. The nylon-suitcase-with-a-hole-in-the-bottom ended it's days in a local skip. People we have new luggage! It's the colour of indigo denim and looks a bit like a giant soap dish...



So, whilst I'm away, you can read about some of my favourite NY shops here - though to me this city isn't about shopping, it's about people, places and popular culture. It's where, in 1979, Keith Richards met Patti Hansen and said, 'Incredibly, I've found a woman. A miracle! She is the most beautiful specimen in the world... but that ain't it... it's her mind, her joy of life and she thinks this battered junkie is the guy she loves. I'm kicking 40 and besotted.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...